Think back to Daniel’s message. What sticks out to you?
Key Scripture: Luke 14:33
“Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can’t be my disciple.”
Luke 14:25-33, Matthew 10:37-39, John 6:60-68, Matthew 28:18-20, John 15:16, Mark 6:30-34, 1 Corinthians 9:16, Isaiah 6:8
We cheapen the Gospel when we tell people they can BUY in without SELLING out!
Startling Truth: Jesus lets us OPT OUT of the life He invites us to live.
Refuse to STAY behind.
- I’m not CALLED to go.
- It’s not SAFE.
- I’m not QUALIFIED.
Developing a Heart for Missions:
- Commanded (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Compassion (Mark 6:30-34)
- Compelled (1 Corinthians 9:16)
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Where is the most interesting place you have ever travelled to? What did you find most fascinating about that particular place?
- Have any of you ever done any mission trips? If so, where to? How would you describe your past mission(s) experiences?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Read Luke 14:25-33. What do you think Jesus was trying to say to His followers?
- What has following Jesus cost you personally?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- When it comes to counting the cost, what (or who) do you find most difficult to surrender to Christ?
- This weekend, Pastor Daniel said “We cheapen the gospel when we tell people they can BUY IN without SELLING OUT.” What do you think that means?
- Why do you think Jesus lets us OPT OUT of the life He invites us to live? What are the dangers of doing so?
- Do you believe that the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20) applies to all believers today? Why or why not?
- Have you ever had the experience of God breaking your heart for something that you know breaks His heart? When and where did that happen for you?
- When it comes to considering participating on a mission trip, what excuse(s) do you find yourself making for not taking advantage of the opportunity to Go?
- “The unfortunate reality is that many of us choose our comfort over our destiny, because we choose safety over opportunity. We settle for less, because we are afraid to sacrifice more.” To what extent have you experienced this in your own life?
- How do we step into the MORE that God has for us?
- What is one thing you feel like God may be asking you to do to apply the message from this weekend to your life?
End with Prayer. Refuse to STAY behind. Let whatever lies ahead come, and whatever it costs you, whatever it demands of you, refuse to be left behind!
What step do you feel the Spirit of God is prompting you to take to follow Jesus into the extraordinary adventure He has planned for your life? Take some time to share with one another and then pray for each another to have the courage to follow Jesus wherever He may lead, no matter what the cost!